Our interface offers several search options: a simple multifield search, an advanced search combining searches in several fields, a research by name of person or organisation. Here are some details on how these search tools operate.
The simple search
The simple search allows you to enter one or more search terms. It is made in all the description fields of our documents (libraries and archives combined).
In the search results the filters allow you to refine your search per type of document, date, language, etc.
If you enter several terms, these are automatically linked using the AND Boolean operator. You can also use the following search tools to refine your search:
|Guide AND gardens||The terms 'guide' and 'gardens' are both found in the result.|
|Guide OR gardens||Either 'guide' or 'gardens' are found in the result.|
|Garden*||All terms starting with garden are searched: garden, gardens, gardening, etc.|
|"Garden guide"||The text between quotation marks is searched as such. This makes it possible to launch expression searches.|
This search mode is recommended if you have a precise search to make. It enables you to search terms in a particular description field and to combine searches in several fields with Boolean operators (AND, OR, EXCEPT).
You can also limit the results to collections of the library or archives, per date, type of document or language:
- Collection filter: limit your search to collections of the library (books, periodicals, documentation folders, promotional material) or archives (archive fonds and sub-levels). By default, the system searches in both collections.
- Document type filter: you will find more details on the document types on page Document types
- Language filter: this filter applies to library documents only.
- Date filter: you can specify an exact year (On), an interval (from…to), from a given year (from) or until a given year (until).
The search results
The search results provide succinct information on the documents identified. By clicking on the document title you can display its full description and find information on location and/or access.
Several facets on the right of the screen enable you to refine a search that you have already made. Below is a list giving the meaning in each case.
|Collection||Allows you to limit your search to collections of the library (books, periodicals, documentation folders, promotional material) or of the archives (archive fonds and sub-levels). The default setting is a search in both collections (All).|
|Document type||You will find more details on document types on page Document types.|
|Date||Allows a filtering per decade and then per year.|
|Language||Document language. This filter only applies for library documents.|
|Thematic fields||Allows you to specify the intervention type or themes. This filter only applies for archive documents.|
The catalogue provides several navigation tools:
- Results / page : 20, 50 or 100
- Sorting criteria: you can sort the results per pertinence (by default), per title, author or date
- "Change the search" button: this allows you to return to the search screen to change your search criteria.
- "Regroup per archive fonds": the default setting for the search results presents all the archive descriptions, whatever their hierarchy in the fonds classification plan. This button allows you to centralize the results per archive fonds.
You can create a basket by clicking in the box on the left of the record. This function subsequently allows you to print a document list, to export it to a program or generate a list of bibliographical references according to a standard format. This function requires you to create an online account. Please contact us to set this up.
The entity search allows you to make a search via our list of authorities, persons and organisations. This search mode allows you to identify all documents linked to a person, regardless of the name used (variants, pseudonym) and function (author, subject, producer, etc.).
- Specify whether the search is for a natural person or an organisation (company, institution, public authority, etc.).
- Enter a surname or first name.
In the search results you will find all the possible entities, sometimes with referral indications. By clicking on the name you obtain details of the person and then the list of all the related documents. Several facets on the right of the screen enable you to refine your search:
- Collection: limited to collections of the library or archives
- Function: function of the person searched: author, translator, illustrator, producer, subject, etc.